Friday 11 July 2014

Oculus

I have seen the film Oculus. American horror that I found interesting because of jumps in time, relations and Karen Gillan, who I know as Amy Pond in Doctor Who.

To begin with. In Doctor Who, there are also jumps in time between Karen Gillan, as is playing Amy Pond as an adult, and a child actress, who plays Amy Pond as a child. Hmm... seen that before.

Moreover, I'll say, that the film obviously is American. Everything supernatural is made as malicious as possible. I've seen the Swedish tv-programme De Okända (=the unknown), and in that show, they seem to have the attitude that you should help the spirits, because they have gone adrift or something after they died. In a similar show from the US, I met another attitude. Is it unknown, supernatural, then it is absolutely dangerous and is just aiming for scaring the hell out of you and in the end, kill you. I found it really fun with culture differences, so I look for pattern where I can.

Another actor I know from earlier stuff I watched is Miguel Sandoval. He played District Attorney Manuel Devalos in Medium.

The film is about siblings Kaylie and Tim. Their family went from being a quite ordinary family, if there is one, to parents developed into psychotic, murderous madmen. The mother is shot by the father, and the father is shot by 10-year-old Tim - a crime Tim had to spend 11 years on a psychiatric institution. Kaylie goes to a foster home. 21 and 23 years old they are reunited. Problem is an antique mirror. One who look into that will be showed whatever mirror wants him or her to see. That is now going to be destroyed.

Oculus is worth seeing, but not a wow-movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment